"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

07/03/2022 - Pat Clark 28yr - Florida - New Smyrna Beach

Recent Shark Attacks in 2022 Latest Shark Attacks as they happen in 2022. We also include Shark Attack Related Incidents as they occur in 2022.
alb

07/03/2022 - Pat Clark 28yr - Florida - New Smyrna Beach

Post by alb »

New Smyrna Beach surfer bit by shark describes scary encounter

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. —

A 28-year-old Daytona Beach man became Volusia County's third shark bite victim this year.

“I feel this like gnarly pain. I'm like, what was that?” surfer Pat Clark said.

It didn't take long for Clark to figure out he was on the wrong end of a shark while surfing with a friend near the inlet in New Smyrna Beach Sunday. Clark said he was on his short board, just rode a wave in and tumbled off and that's when the shark chomped down on his left foot.

“I was like kind of in shock, and I forgot how to swim, and I was reaching for my board trying to not get bit again,” Clark said.

Clark didn't see the shark although based on the bite, the doctor estimated 4 to 5 feet. Spinner and black tip sharks are very common at the inlet. Clark took nearly a dozen stitches, but the animal thankfully missed his tendon. He's been surfing 16 years and knows his foot likely resembled a fish in the water.

“I've told a million people. Oh, you won't get bit, you know you are fine. Come out surfing but I guess it was just my card,” Clark said.

Volusia County recorded a record number of shark bites back in 2001. The so-called year of the shark. There were 22. Last year, it had 16 shark bites in the county. So three by comparison this year is still low but there's several months yet to go.

Lifeguards at the beach wrapped the injury. Clark's friend drove him to the hospital. He'll be on crutches for several weeks, but he said he’s certain he’ll be back out.

That is the mantra of most surfers who have crossed paths with the fierce fish and suffered injury. Once healed, they typically go back.

“It's a great wave. It's the best wave around, and you know, that's the price we're willing to pay I think,” Clark said.

Beach safety officials in Volusia typically describe shark bite incidents as mistaken identities.

They say sharks are going after bait fish in the murky water and occasionally bump into a surfer or swimmer instead.

https://www.wesh.com/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2022 Latest Shark Attacks Recent Shark Attacks 2022”