"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

01/24/2022 - Liam - Western Australia

Recent Shark Attacks in 2022 Latest Shark Attacks as they happen in 2022. We also include Shark Attack Related Incidents as they occur in 2022.
alb

01/24/2022 - Liam - Western Australia

Post by alb »

Wobbegong shark bites boys snorkelling at WA beach

Two children have been left with lacerations following a suspected wobbegong shark attack on Western Australia's south coast.
Key points:

The boys were snorkelling in a shallow cove near Albany when they disturbed the shark
Wobbegongs can grow up to 1.5m but are rarely aggressive and only attack if they feel threatened
Despite the scary encounter, the boys have returned to the water

Jack and his friend Liam were left with bite marks on their ankles, feet and knees after they inadvertently disturbed the shark in shallow waters while snorkelling at at Whaler's Beach near Albany on Saturday morning.

Jack's mum, Melanie Trenow, was snorkelling with the boys when the shark attacked.

"It was pretty shallow with seagrass and seaweed, so I was more mindful of cobbler and blue ring octopus than I was about a shark," she said.

"They wanted to scamble on the rocks … and as they were climbing my son started screaming that something was biting him.

"I pulled him over where it was clear and then his friend started screaming that he was bitten as well.

"We got them out of the water and there was a lot of blood … you could see teeth marks — it was very clear it was a bite."

Ms Trenow said friends kayaking nearby helped take the boys back to shore for first-aid treatment.

The boys were treated without requiring a hospital visit.

Jack has returned to the water since the incident.

She sent photos of the bite marks to a friend who works in the fishing industry who confirmed it was likely a wobbegong.

The western wobbegong is found in shallow waters and can grow up to 1.5 metres long, according to Fisheries WA.

Marine biologist Kirsty Mary Alexander said wobbegong incidents had been recorded in the area.

"Generally the ones you find in inshore seagrass habit in spots like Frenchman Bay are pretty small juveniles," she said.

"Not aggressive, but will bite if stepped on or disturbed."

A woman with long dark hair stands on a beach with her arm around her son, who is in snorkelling gear.
Melanie Trenow says the boys understand that they were in the shark's domain.(ABC Great Southern: Kyle Pauletto)

Six of 12 wobbegong species are found in WA.

Ms Trenow said the boys had already returned to the ocean to snorkel and described the incident as "positive".

"It was quite traumatic for the kids, but they're back in the water — they're actually back at the bay and back snorkelling again," she said.

"It is [the shark's] habitat and they're well camouflaged.

"We know about them and they aren't the biggest danger along this coastline."

https://www.abc.net.au
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2022 Latest Shark Attacks Recent Shark Attacks 2022”