"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

08/17/2013 Wendi Zuccaro - California - No Injury

Recent Shark Attacks in 2013 and 2013 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents
alb

08/17/2013 Wendi Zuccaro - California - No Injury

Post by alb »

On August 17, Wendi Zuccaro and a friend Anne visiting from Germany were surfing 150 yards from shore near the jetty at Pillar Point in Half Moon Bay.
The sea was calm and 4 – 5 feet deep with a sandy ocean floor and a water temperature around 52 or 54 degrees Fahrenheit.
It was about 12:40 p.m. and they had been on the water for two hours.
"We were about 48 inches deep when I noticed baby sharks about 18 – 32 inches long swimming around our legs, but they didn't seem interested in us, and I didn't want to scare her, so I didn't tell her until way after our session," Zuccaro wrote.
"That was about 11 a.m. We caught a few small waves but it was pretty flat at 12:40 p.m. We were both lying flat on our boards with no limbs hanging off and we were just talking and waiting for a wave.
All of a sudden, something hit the bottom of my board two feet from the fins and tossed me and the board into the air about 2-3 feet.
I held onto the board and recovered. Anne asked what happened.
Since she doesn't know much about sharks, and has a fear of them, I said it was probably a seal or sea lion even though I knew it wasn't.
At 1 p.m., Anne said, ‘Look, I think there's a whale right behind us close to the surface you can see its shadow.'
I turned my head thinking that it wasn't a whale because we were not that far out.
What I saw was a White Shark with its dorsal barely under the water surface.
It just coasted by (moving away from the rock wall so maybe its belly was full?) It passed right behind us just under a foot away.
It never slowed, stopped or even circled. It was just cruising by. I kept watching it and since it wasn't interested in us, I just watched this amazing creature pass and appreciated what it could do had it been hungry.
It was dark gray and roughly 10 – 12 feet long with a girthy body.
After that, I told Anne that maybe we should go in and check out the conditions from the beach.
Since she was getting cold, she agreed. I checked the bottom of my board after and saw the bite marks on it." -

http://www.metronewsday.com
R. Collier
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2013 Shark Attacks Recent Shark Attacks 2013”