"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

04/22/2007 Matthew Honyak (Florida)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2007.
sharkbait
Site Admin

04/22/2007 Matthew Honyak (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Shark bites 12-year-old at Hutchinson Island beach

By JEREMY ASHTON
jeremy.ashton@scripps.com
Updated at 7:17 p.m.
Updated at 7:20 p.m.

April 22, 2007
HUTCHINSON ISLAND — A shark gashed one of the feet of a boy Sunday in the surf off Waveland Beach just north of the line between Martin and St. Lucie counties.
The 12-year-old boy and at least three of his friends were riding bodyboards no more than 25 yards offshore around 12:30 p.m., witnesses said.

The adult supervising them had just called for them to come closer to shore when the boy cried out for help.
Witnesses said they saw a wound running the length of the boy's foot.

Paramedics took the boy to Martin Memorial Health Center for treatment. There was no update on his condition Sunday night.

Sunday's shark attack was the fourth in the waters off Hutchinson Island in the last six weeks.

On March 11, a 29-year-old surfer suffered deep cuts on his right forearm after an encounter with a shark off Tiger Shores Beach in Martin County.

Less than three weeks later, another adult surfer and a 9-year-old boy were bitten within an hour of each other on two St. Lucie County beaches.

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/ar ... 73,00.html
Last edited by sharkbait on Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Broward Boy Bitten By Shark Off Hutchinson Island
12-Year-Old Receives Several Stitches, Is Called Shark Bait By Friend

POSTED: 8:27 am EDT April 24, 2007

WESTON, Fla. -- A 12-year-old Broward County boy was taken to the hospital Sunday after a shark bit his foot while he was vacationing with his family on Hutchinson Island for the weekend.

Matthew Honyak and his friends were bodysurfing in the Atlantic Ocean when the 6-foot bull shark attacked.

"It just chomped down right on my foot and it felt like every single bone in my foot and muscle just got crushed," Honyak said.

Luckily for Honyak, it was how he responded that might have saved him from a worse fate.

"I ended up kicking it a couple of times -- that's why it went away -- and then I ended up getting back into the shore and screaming for help," he said.

Honyak received several stitches in his foot and then got it bandaged. He was walking on crutches when Local 10 caught up with him Monday.

Once his friends realized he was going to be OK, they joked about what happened.

"Well, I've been calling him shark bait the whole day," said Brennan Becker, who witnessed the attack.

Becker also gave Honyak a shark pendant, which he was wearing around his neck.

Despite his brush with a shark, Honyak said it wouldn't stop him from going in the water again.

"It's less likely to get bit two times," he said. "I got the one unlucky thing to happen to me in my life."

Honyak was hoping to return to school Tuesday so he could share the story with his classmates, but his mother said he needed to wait until his next doctor's appointment Wednesday. He was expected to make a full recovery.

http://www.local10.com/news/12988606/detail.html
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

April 23. 2007 10:53AM

Shark bites 12-year-old boy's foot

HUTCHINSON ISLAND -- A 12-year-old boy was taken to the hospital after a shark bit him on the leg, authorities said.

Matthew Honyak told authorities he saw the mouth of a shark as it bit his left ankle on Sunday, the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

Lifeguards responded to the scene, and Honyak was transported to a hospital and treated for puncture wounds on his lower left leg. He was discharged later Sunday, according to hospital records.

Sunday's shark bite was reportedly the fourth in the waters off Hutchinson Island in the past six weeks. Hutchinson Island is located in St. Lucie County on Florida's east coast.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs. ... 05&start=1
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Fla. Boy Is Fourth Shark-Bite Victim In Weeks

POSTED: 5:49 am EDT April 23, 2007
UPDATED: 6:50 am EDT April 23, 2007

HUTCHINSON ISLAND, Fla. -- A 12-year-old boy was attacked by a shark in the waters of Hutchinson Island.

Witnesses said the boy and several friends were riding body boards no more than 25 yards offshore, just after noon Sunday.

Lifeguards immediately sounded an alarm and rushed down to the beach to help after an unidentified man started yelling "shark bite."

Another witness noticed a "huge chunk of meat" missing from the boy's foot.

The wound appeared to run from the boy's ankle down to his toes.

Paramedics took the boy to the hospital for treatment, but there was no update on his condition last night. Yesterday's shark attack was the fourth in the waters off Hutchinson Island in the past six weeks.

http://www.local6.com/news/12884369/detail.html

Return to “2007 Reported Shark Attacks”