"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

12/14/2000 Paul Smith (England)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2000.

Man savaged by sharks in landlocked pub

Post by Guest »

Dec.14.2000
Man savaged by sharks in landlocked pub

A chef has been mauled in a shark attack - at a pub 60 miles from the sea.

Horrified customers looked on as the sharks mistook Paul Smith's fingers for food when he fed one of them prawns in a 3,000 gallon tank in the pub's dining room.

Russell Allen, landlord of the Fountain in Tenbury Wells, Worcester, took Mr Smith to hopsital where nurses logged the incident as a "shark attack" at a landlocked pub and gave him six stitches for deep cuts.

The 40-year-old was on a break when he decided to treat Miami, a black-tipped reef shark usually fed squid and mussels.

He said that as soon as the sharks got a whiff of the seafood they shot across the tank.

"Within a second the water was churning like the shark attack scenes in the Jaws movie - and my hand was in the middle of it," he added. "Miami did most of the damage. He was hanging off my finger and I was howling."

The pub's landlord recently installed the 15ft by 5ft tank and The Sun reports that diners loved watching the three sharks - especially at feeding time.

"It must help them work up an appetite - seafood sales have gone up 40%," he said.

The chef said: "It could have been very nasty. I've learned my lesson - I'll admire them from afar from now on."

Return to “2000 Reported Shark Attacks”