"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

10/09/2000 Matt Kraskiewicz (Florida)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2000.

Fort Lauderdale Teen Attacked By Shark

Post by Guest »

Monday October 09 11:47 PM EDT

Fort Lauderdale Teen Attacked By Shark
Witnesses Said Shark Was 7 To 8 Feet Long

A Fort Lauderdale teenager was attacked by a shark Monday near Lake Worth Inlet in West Palm Beach.

Matt Kraskiewicz was surfing with some friends when they spotted a school of baitfish. A friend tried to get Kraskiewicz's attention to get away but it was too late.

The shark bit down on the teen's left foot. Witnesses said the shark was about 7 to 8 feet long. Kraskiewicz says he didn't even realized what had happened until he got to shore.

Kraskiewicz says that once he gets better, he will head back to the water and continue surfing.

10/09/2000 Matt Kraskiewicz (Florida)

Post by Guest »

Apparent shark attack
PALM BEACH SHORES -- Two high school students helped reduce the blood flow coming from a teenage surfer's injured foot after a shark apparently bit the surfer.

Matt Kraskiewicz, 17, was riding waves off this small beach town on Florida's east coast Monday when a shark apparently attacked him.

When he reached the shore with blood pouring from one of his feet, Amber McKinney, 14, and Melissa Gosnell, 15, applied towels to Kraskiewicz's wound.

''She put a wet towel on it, and I put pressure on it,'' McKinney said. ''Then I called 911. He told me he couldn't feel anything but he felt like he was going to faint.''

Kraskiewicz, 17, of Fort Lauderdale, was taken to St. Mary's Medical Center.

It was the fifth shark attack in Palm Beach County this year.

Through Friday, Florida has had 31 attacks in 2000, six more than it had in all of 1999.

http://staugustine.com/stories/101200/s ... .016.shtml

Return to “2000 Reported Shark Attacks”