"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

03/27/2021 - Jackson Howson - Australia

Recent Shark Attack in 2021 Information on Shark Attacks in 2021 Latest Shark Attacks all here at Shark Attack Survivors
alb

03/27/2021 - Jackson Howson - Australia

Post by alb »

SHARK ATTACK Boy, 10, attacked by two-metre shark while snorkelling with dad in Australia as beach closed
A BOY, 10, has been airlifted to hospital after being attacked by a two-metre-long shark at a remote swimming area.

The lad screamed for help while snorkelling about 75 metres offshore with his dad in Western Australia, says a tour guide who dragged him "bleeding in to the shallows".
The boy's dad had to fend off the bronze whaler with his speargun to ensure the shark didn't attack his son again, reported The West Australian.

The beach, about 1,100km north of Perth, remains closed to swimmers because of continued shark activity in the popular location.

It's the second such attack in several months.

The pair had been snorkelling at Five Fingers Reed, near Coral Bay, when the boy was bitten by the bronze whaler yesterday, leaving him with a 16cm-long laceration.

The attack occurred at a remote swimming spot, only accessible by four-wheel-drive, says WA Today.

Warwick 'Wokka' Coles, 48, of Coastal Adventure Tours, was at the reef when he heard the dad crying for help.
Where the boy was bitten on June 11

Mr Coles said the lad's wound "wasn't gushing, but there was enough for it to leave a trail of blood behind as I dragged him into the shallows."

While the boy was given initial first aid, and bandages applied to stop the bleeding, an ambulance was called to the shore.

Mr Coles told the Sun Online: "My group were just coming out of the water when I heard the father of the young boy calling for help.

"So I swam out and helped the young boy back in while his dad kept look out with the speargun in case it came back.

"The young boy was very cool. He told me he’d been bitten by a shark but had kept really calm.

"He loves snorkelling so I don’t think it will deter him.

"He’ll have a nice scar on his foot and a cool story to tell as the years go on."

Mr Coles said the dad had been confused about the attack at first - and didn't realise the seriousness of the situation.

The pair hadn't actually caught any fish to attract the predator's attention in the first place.

The man "thought he [the boy] was just pointing out the shark to him, but then he yelled 'it bit me'. It was a pretty big open wound, open quite wide.

"When this sort of thing happens, even if it doesn't end up being that serious, you think about what could've happened," Mr Coles added.

A Royal Flying Doctor plane landed at Coral Bay, and the boy was transported to Perth Children’s Hospital, where he underwent surgery to repair the 16cm-long wound.
Warwick Coles (Wokka) told the Sun that the sharks are used to swimmers

Mr Coles also told the Sun: "Sharks only need a small amount of fish blood to make them curious.

"His dad may have had the smell of fish on the spear gun from a previous day.

"Most sharks don’t want to know you. The locals here swim with the tiger sharks all the time.

"[The sharks are] friendly here. But if they can smell fish blood or you look like a seal when sitting on a surfboard that’s when they get curious.

"You’d be more likely to die in a car crash driving from Perth to Coral Bay than getting bitten by a shark."

Surf Lifesaving West Australia tweeted today that officials "advise that a beach closure will remain in place today for the Five Finger Reef area, near Coral Bay, following yesterday’s shark bite incident.

"Public report 2.0m unknown sp. [species] shark sighted 12:07hrs 12/06, Coral Bay 500m offshore, On the left side of the boat ramp."

The Government of Western Australia says that "Fisheries officers and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA) officers will continue to patrol the area throughout the day.

"The area closure will remain in place until 5pm this afternoon."

Beachgoers have been advised to check the SharkSmart website, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter.

https://www.the-sun.com/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2021 Shark Attacks Recent Shark Attack in 2021”