"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

01/29/2020 - Ana Bruna Avila - Bahamas

We list all 2020 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2020 or Attack these include attacks and other shark related incidents for ocean goers safety...
alb

01/29/2020 - Ana Bruna Avila - Bahamas

Post by alb »

Ana Bruna Avila, 24, was floating with nurse sharks when she was nipped on the right arm Jan. 29.

As other models before her, Avila was floating on her back with her arms wide as the docile sharks swam around. Her photographer snapped several pictures from a dock, that appears to feature a warning sign that swimming with sharks can be dangerous, including the moment when the model was bitten.

Avila received medical treatment at the dock, which included a cleaning of the very minor wound and a bandage.

While nurse sharks have extremely tiny teeth and use suction to capture prey, their mouths do contain bacteria. Any shark bite that draws blood should be examined by a doctor to help stem off any issues with infection.

Avila said the initial bite was not very painful but did have issues with pain the following day and was unable to sleep.

She appeared to take the bite in stride and will continue her vacation.

“Today my ride was differentiated. Another dream and scar for the list,” she wrote on Instagram.

Another model was bitten in nearly the same area of the arm.

Katarina Zarutskie,19, was swimming and posing in the same manor as Avila when she was bitten on the left wrist.

The Instagram poster was off Staniel Cay in June 2018, when she was bitten. While photos appeared to show a minor wound, she was quoted that she was thankful that she still had her arm…and her life.

Adventure blogger Mareen was traveling through the islands March 1, 2017 when she made a stop at Compass Cay. As she floated on her back with arms spread, she was bitten on the finger by a nurse shark.

Even non-Instagram stars have had negative encounters with nurse sharks in the Bahamas.

Sarah Carroll was swimming with her husband, who was recording her underwater at Compass Cay, when she was bitten on the wrist.

“I felt a whoosh of water, something clamped down on my arm and I assumed my husband was playing a prank on me,” she told Tracking Sharks.

“Less than a second later I realized how much it hurt and looked past where my goggles were blocking my side vision to see the shark (bigger than myself) latched on to my arm.”

https://www.trackingsharks.com/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2020 Shark Attacks and Shark Attack Related Incidents”