"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

12/20/2019 - Boat - Australia - No Injury

We list all 2019 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2019 or Attack these include attacks and other shark related incidents for ocean goers safety...
alb

12/20/2019 - Boat - Australia - No Injury

Post by alb »

Massive 15-Feet-Long Great White Shark Takes Bite Out of Boat, Tries to Jump on Board: 'It Came out of Nowhere'

Three men fishing off the coast of New South Wales had a narrow escape with a shark which tried to leap aboard their vessel.

The trio from Appin Mine were several miles off Shellharbour last Friday, when a 15-feet-long great white shark tried to clamber aboard.

One of the crew, Jason Dunn, said that the fish suddenly appeared after his crew mate had dropped his fishing line off the back of the vessel.

"It came out of nowhere—he had to sprint to the front of the boat," Dunn told the Illawarra Mercury.

"It then slid back into the water, and we could feel it go under the boat, we could feel it bumping it.

"Then it came round to the driver's side where I was and started pushing it sideways and then took a bite out of the boat.

"You can see the serrated teeth marks where it's been gouged," Dunn said.

Dunn said that once the boat is fixed, he would not think twice about going back onto the water.

"I'm glad my boat wasn't any smaller though—it would have tipped us in the water," he told the paper.

"We immediately started the boat and headed off—and it even followed us in the wake for a bit. It wasn't happy," he told the Mercury.

Meanwhile, authorities in Australia said that a human leg that had washed up on a beach in New South Wales' mid-north coast this month belonged to a missing diver who may have been eaten by sharks, news.com.au reported.

Mystery had surrounded the appearance of the leg, which washed up near North Beach at Mylestom, last week. Three weeks earlier, rescue workers had spent days scouring a 350-mile area of water and land after Andrew Page, 38, had gone missing.

Page's parents, Robert and Colleen, said in a statement: "An experienced free-diver and spear fisherman, Drew's heart belonged to the ocean. He used to say his gills were drying up whenever he was away from the water for too long.

"We take small comfort in knowing that he will never have to feel that again," news.com.au reported.

Australia has the second highest number of confirmed unprovoked shark attacks in the world to date, at 642, behind the United States, which has had more than 1,440, according to the Florida Museum ISAF website.

However, there are comparatively few shark attacks globally, with only around 15 fatalities and 70 injuries occurring each year.

To minimize the chances of a shark attack, ISAF advises people to stay in groups, avoid being in the water at night or at twilight when the fish are most active.

https://www.newsweek.com/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2019 Shark Attacks and Shark Attack Related Incidents”