"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

07/12/2019 - Jackie Jozaitis - Florida

We list all 2019 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2019 or Attack these include attacks and other shark related incidents for ocean goers safety...
alb

Re: 07/12/2019 - Jackie Jozaitis - Florida

Post by alb »

SARASOTA, Fla. (WWSB) - Last Friday, 16-year-old Jackie Jozaitis says she was attacked by a shark while vacationing on Amelia island.

That island is just north of Jacksonville in north Florida. On Friday, Jozaitis tells ABC7 she had been boogie boarding in the morning when she was bitten on her heel and ankle.

The Sarasota high school student says she didn’t see the shark, but felt the jaw snap. That’s when she ran towards shore yelling for help.

She says her friend was able to help her by applying pressure to the wound as crews rushed to the scene.

At first, she didn’t know what attacked her, until she says she saw the teeth marks on her heel and ankle.

The scary moment turned educational for Jozaitis as she says she learned a valuable lesson since. “The main thing for me was to make sure of your surroundings, to be knowing what’s happening around you, because if I have decided not to go during sunrise, to find out that’s when sharks feed during sunrise and we didn’t know that,” she said.

Jozaitis has since received eight stitches. Meanwhile, she’ll have to use crutches and a wheelchair to get around.

But most importantly, she says she’ll be okay in a couple of weeks.

https://www.mysuncoast.com
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net
alb

07/12/2019 - Jackie Jozaitis - Florida

Post by alb »

Shark Attack at AMELIA ISLAND, Florida Shark Attack at Nassau County Shark Attack a teenage girl the shark bite as "serious." Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort Shark Attack

AMELIA ISLAND, Fla. - A teenage girl was bitten on the foot and ankle by a shark Friday morning while she was vacationing on Amelia Island, Nassau County Sheriff Bill Leeper said.

It happened about 7:30 a.m. as the 16-year-old was boogie boarding at the beach near the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort, where she was a guest, Leeper told News4Jax. It's unclear how far out she was at the time.

A security officer from the hotel called 911 for help.

"They think a guest got bit by a shark and is bleeding at the Omni at the pool deck right now," he can be heard saying in the 911 call released Friday afternoon.

Leeper described the shark bite as "serious." The teen was taken to a hospital in Nassau County about 20 minutes away from the resort. The sheriff was unable to say where she and her family were visiting from.

A director at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort released a statement, which reads in part:

“We had a guest with reported lacerations to the foot and they were transported to a local hospital. As always, we encourage guests to exercise caution and follow local advisories."

Beachgoers had mixed reactions when they learned of the shark attack.

"It definitely makes me feel like I need to look out and just be cautious," vacationer Lamiiko Moore told News4Jax.

Moore, who was staying just up the beach from the resort, said she will still go in the water, just not too deep.

"I want to be able to see the water, see what's going on as much as possible," Moore said.

But not everyone shares her concern.

"It's terrible to the person it happened to, but what are you gonna do? There are sharks in the water and there are people in the water," beachgoer Joe Szewczyk said. "I got a better chance of hitting the lottery than getting bit by a shark."

Some lotteries, maybe, but not the Powerball.

Though shark attacks have low odds, they are still quite a bit higher than those of winning a Powerball jackpot. But, for comparison, you are more likely to get struck by lightning or get hit by an asteroid than to get attacked by a shark.

Friday's shark bite was the third this year in Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia waters. That's one bite fewer than all of 2018, which saw four.

https://www.news4jax.com
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2019 Shark Attacks and Shark Attack Related Incidents”