"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

05/15/2014 - Amy Tatsch - Florida

We list all 2014 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2014 or Attack these include attacks and other shark related incidents for ocean goers safety...
alb

Re: 05/15/2014 - Amy Tatsch - Florida

Post by alb »

Woman describes Brevard County shark attack
Woman taken to hospital after 'chunk' taken out of leg
05-15-2014-amy-tasch.JPG
05-15-2014-amy-tasch.JPG (17.37 KiB) Viewed 24761 times
05-15-2014-amy-tasch-leg.JPG
05-15-2014-amy-tasch-leg.JPG (18.19 KiB) Viewed 24761 times
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH, Fla. -
The woman who had a chunk of her calf bitten off by a shark off the coast of Brevard County earlier this month discussed the attack on Friday, detailing the ordeal.

In an interview with Local 6, 38-year-old Amy Tatsch described the attack on May 15 during a family beach trip near Ponce de Leon Park on Melbourne Beach.

After looking at the width of the bite, Tatsch said her doctor estimates the shark was about 7 feet long. Tatsch believes that the shark responsible was likely a bull shark.

"(I) can't get up and around, but it's so much nicer to be home and be able to be outside," Tatsch told Local 6 at her Indian Harbour Beach home.

Tatsch, a mother of six, has been in the hospital for the last two weeks getting multiple surgeries after the shark attacked her while she was boogie boarding with her brother.

"We caught a couple of waves. He caught one and I drifted down a little farther with the current so I was a little farther away and the next wave that was coming up, I was ready," she said. "I kicked off with my right leg to give me some momentum to ride in and that's when I got bumped."

Tatsch said her Achilles tendon was torn and her calf was a couple of inches from being taken off completely.

"It was a really hard bump and then seconds after I felt my leg being torn and then I felt the motion of something big swimming away," she said.

There are no lifeguards in the area where the shark attack occurred and Tatsch's brother told Local 6 his family and other beachgoers brought Tatsch to shore.

Officials haven't said what type of shark attacked Tatsch.

WKMG
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net
alb

05/15/2014 - Amy Tatsch - Florida

Post by alb »

Shark attacks woman off Brevard coast
Woman taken to hospital after 'chunk' taken out of leg

Shark rips 'chunk' out of woman's leg

A 38-year-old woman on a family trip to the beach was attacked by a shark Thursday morning off Brevard County.

Brevard Ocean Rescue officials say the attack happened near Ponce de Leon Park on Melbourne Beach.

"Typically you'll see fish jumping out of the water, birds chasing after the fish.. it was just out of nowhere, bam," said Rick Tatsch, the victim's brother.

Tatsch said he was body boarding with his 38-year-old sister while her two children played in the sand with family members when she had a "chunk" taken out of her calf.

"She looked OK, she was fading in and out a little bit because when you're losing a lot of blood like that you seem to feel a little faint at that time," he said. "It's kind of a shocking thing for an individual."

The woman, who lives in Indian Harbour Beach, was taken to Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne, and her brother said she was in good spirits.

"You always expect it, you always hear that you have a better chance to get struck by lightning or winning the lottery and go figure it's the shark bite that comes first, but I was telling her, 'maybe we can win the lotto tonight,'" said Tatsch.

There are no lifeguards in the area where the shark attack occurred and Tatsch said his family and other beachgoers brought her to shore.

It's not known what type of shark attacked the woman.

A 2,300-pound great white shark tracked by research group Ocearch pinged off the Brevard Coast earlier in the week, but the group's website showed the great white near South Florida on Thursday.

Named Katharine, the 14-foot shark was just six miles off the coast of Sebastian Inlet on Monday night.

http://www.clickorlando.com
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2014 Shark Attacks Latest Recent Shark Attacks 2014 or Attack”