04/29/2013 - Ted Collins - Australia

Recent Shark Attacks in 2013 and 2013 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents
helmi

04/29/2013 - Ted Collins - Australia

Post by helmi »

A shark bites back, fisherman injured

By Craig Hoggett, The Coffs Coast Advocate,
04. May 2013

A WOBBEGONG shark got a slice of revenge on fisherman Ted Collins at Emerald Beach this week.

Mr Collins was fishing for mulloway off the beach on Sunday evening when something big took his line.

The 78-year-old keen angler reeled the creature in and was surprised to find a wobbegong shark on his line.

Not knowing the big fish was protected, he went back to his home to get help transporting it.

He said his wife talked him out of taking it home and in the process of returning it to water the shark sunk its teeth into his foot.

Mr Collins said the shark was about two metres long and extremely heavy.

“After a bit of discussion I put him back in the water and tried to revive him – I though he might have been dead,” he said.

“I put him in the second line of waves and then fell over, that’s when he decided to bite me.”

Mr Collins didn’t discover the extent of the injury until he went home and it wouldn’t stop bleeding and needed stitches.

“I didn’t realise until I got back to the house how bad it was so that’s when I made for the base hospital.” He said he’s since learned the species of shark is highly protected and is glad the creature got away unharmed.

Source: The Coffs Coast Advocate

Return to “2013 Shark Attacks Recent Shark Attacks 2013”