"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

07/31/2012 Jared Tennison - California - No Injury

Recent 2012 Shark Attacks and 2012 Shark Attack Related Incidents
alb

07/31/2012 Jared Tennison - California - No Injury

Post by alb »

Topanga State Beach — On July 31, 2012 Jared Tennison was surfing at Topanga State Beach, located north of Sunset Beach. It was 6:45 AM and he had been on the water about 45 minutes. It was overcast with an estimated air temperature of 65 degrees Fahrenheit. The ocean was calm and about 20 feet deep over a rocky bottom with an estimated temperature of 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Water visibility was limited due to very murky conditions. Pelicans and Sea Gulls were diving on baitfish in the area that would occasionally ‘jump' out of the water. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Tennison reported; “I was sitting on my board about 100 yards out from shore when all of a sudden I felt a bump on my leg. I looked down and saw something dark grey and felt something move against my board. I thought I had drifted shallower and hit a rock (trying to avoid thinking shark) but I realized I was still in deeper water. I then felt a large jolt against the bottom of my board and at the same time something pressing lightly against my leg. I was knocked off my board into the water by the impact. My hand brushed against something and got a bunch of small cuts. When I fell off my board I felt a huge rush of water push me parallel to the beach. I then sprinted to shore dragging my board and watched for 30 minutes but never saw the shark again.” This is the fifth authenticated shark attack this year from the Pacific Coast. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2012 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents”