"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

03/14/2012 Sidney Levy - Florida

Recent 2012 Shark Attacks and 2012 Shark Attack Related Incidents
alb

Re: 03/14/2012 Sidney Levy - Florida

Post by alb »

sydney-levy.jpg
sydney-levy.jpg (32.77 KiB) Viewed 19704 times
NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. - New Smyrna Beach mom said she watched a shark pull her daughter under water like a scene out of the movie "Jaws."

Valeh Levy said she and her 15-year-old daughter, Sydney, were surfing south of the jetty in New Smyrna Beach when all of a sudden Sydney was pulled off of her surfboard.

"This was my worst nightmare," Levy said.

The shark bit Sydney's ankle.

Levy said her daughter was able to get back on her board but then the shark came back and chomped down on the rope connected to her ankle, pulling her under water.

"To me is was like a scene out of Jaws where the girl is getting sucked under. I said, 'there is no way this thing is going to kill my daughter.' I grabbed her shoulders and I pulled her up and threw her on the nose of my board," Levy said.

She said the shark continued swimming around them as they called out for help to two nearby surfers who helped them to shore. Luckily an ambulance was just up the beach helping another surfer, Nick Romano, 17, who had just been bitten too.
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net
alb

03/14/2012 Sidney Levy - Florida

Post by alb »

Teens Bitten By Sharks At New Smyrna Beach
Girl, 15, Rushed To Surgery

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. -- Two beachgoers were bitten by sharks at New Smyrna Beach on Wednesday afternoon.

Valeh Levy said she wishes had been watching a movie, but it was the real deal.

Her daughter, Sydney, 15, was the victim of a shark bite and was snatched from her surfboard twice.

Levy and Sydney were off Ponce Inlet. They had finished paddling and went to sit up on their boards, but suddenly, Sydney was gone. She had been dragged underwater.

"She got back on her board, and there was her ankle … She put her ankle up, and she looked at it, and there was blood coming off of it," Levy said.

The shark grabbed her a second time.

"I said, 'There's no way this thing is going to kill my daughter,' and I grabbed her shoulders, and I pulled her up on my board," Levy said.

That's when other surfers paddled over to help them to shore.

An ambulance was already there because Nick Romano, 17, had been bitten minutes before Sydney.

Romano said he had just caught a wave when the shark bit his leg.

"He kind of spun up. His tail flipped up right in front of me. My reaction was to shove him right away, and then he swam back down. I stood there and was like, 'I just got bit by a shark,'" Romano said.

Romano drove himself to Bert Fish Medical Center, while the ambulance took Sydney.

Romano required 17 stitches. Sydney was rushed into surgery but was able to leave the hospital a few hours later.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2012 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents”