"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

06/12/2011 Daniel Webb ( Florida )

Shark Attack Related Incident News Archive for 2011 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents.
alb

Re: 06/12/2011 Daniel Webb ( Florida )

Post by alb »

Jupiter dive instructor speaks about shark attack

Had to 'shake off' a reef shark that bit him
A Jupiter dive instructor is recovering after he was bitten in the leg by a shark. Daniel Webb was diving near the Jupiter inlet Sunday when the shark attacked.

"It was just incredible how fast it happened. It was incredible he actually bit me at all!” Webb said. “He was on it and I had to shake him off. He finally let go and I was very thankful."

Webb is very thankful and incredibly fortunate to still have his leg. On Sunday, Webb, a dive instructor with Scuba Works in Jupiter, was 70 feet under the water with a student near the Jupiter Inlet when they spotted a four-foot black tipped reef shark.

“(He was) just kind of darting all over the place ... real jumpy and weird. It was the weirdest thing and it circled up once and it was almost circling us again and it just came right in at me," he said. “He just bit right down on my leg and, of course, the first thought is, 'I got bit by a shark!' It didn't want to let go of my leg and there was a brief struggle for a few seconds for my leg, which fortunately, I won."

Daniel's co-workers on the boat and lifeguards were able to get him to shore where paramedics rushed him to Jupiter Medical Center. Plastic surgeon Dr. Daniel Kapp was able stitch his right leg back together.

“We were fortunate that we were able to take the small strips of skin that were surviving after the injury and we were actually able to sew them together,” explained Dr. Kapp.

Doctors say one of the most amazing things about Daniel's recovery is that he was able to keep his presence of mind while remembering his training after he was bit. Otherwise, they say they could have ended up having to treat him for something else, as well.

"It's something commonly called the bends,” said Dr. Kapp, “and basically what happens is the gas in the blood vessels expand too fast and it causes all sorts of problems: neurologic problems, joint problems, organ problems in the liver or kidneys and it can be a very, very serious situation."

Dr. Kapp expects Webb to make a full recovery. Webb will have to wait two months; however, he is already eager to get back in the water.

"All the creatures down there, even the sharks, are still just amazing creatures to watch,” he said.

Daniel expects to be released from Jupiter Medical Center Tuesday. He’s made about 200 dives and said he’s never had anything like this happen. He said he doesn’t blame the shark for biting him. He said, after all, he was in the shark’s territory.
Daniel_Webb_2.jpg
Daniel_Webb_2.jpg (11.11 KiB) Viewed 19031 times
Daniel_Webb_3.jpg
Daniel_Webb_3.jpg (11.58 KiB) Viewed 19031 times
Daniel_Webb_4.jpg
Daniel_Webb_5.jpg
Daniel_Webb_5.jpg (15.51 KiB) Viewed 19031 times

http://www.wptv.com
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net
alb

06/12/2011 Daniel Webb ( Florida )

Post by alb »

Apparent shark bite sends man to Jupiter hospital

Witnesses at the scene said a reef shark bit the man, according to WPTV-Ch. 5

A 28-year-old man suffered an apparent shark bite on the leg Sunday afternoon, a spokesman for Palm Beach County Fire Rescue said.

The man's injury didn't warrant a trauma alert, but he was taken to Jupiter Medical Center, Palm Beach County Fire Rescue Chief Steve Delai said.

According to WPTV NewsChannel 5, the victim was a scuba diver named Daniel Webb. Witnesses at the scene said Webb was bitten by a reef shark, WPTV reported.

Webb was in good condition late Sunday evening, said staff at Jupiter Medical Center said.

The victim is expected to survive, Delai said. No other information on his condition was available.

Nor was the kind of shark that might have bitten the man, Delai said.

The man came into a marina in the Jupiter Inlet by boat around 2:30 p.m., Delai added. Fire rescue crews met him there.

No other details were immediately available.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/loc ... 0111.story
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net

Return to “2011 Shark Attack and Related Incidents”