"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

07/25/2010 Alex Stamm ( South Carolina )

Recent listing of shark attacks 2010 and Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2010.
alb

Re: 07/25/2010 Alex Stamm ( South Carolina )

Post by alb »

Shark bite victim returns home to Indiana
Updated: Aug 01, 2010 9:38 PM EDT

Alex Stamm was bitten by a shark while on vacation in South Carolina.
alex_stamm_1.jpg (19.71 KiB) Viewed 22097 times

Stamm has 40 stitches to remind him of the attack.
alex_stamm_2.jpg (15.4 KiB) Viewed 22097 times

Westfield - The teenage victim of a shark bite who made national headlines last week is back in Indiana.

The beach vacation pictures tell a tale Alex Stamm will never forget. The 16-year-old was spending his first day on a South Carolina beach when he got stung in belly button-deep water.

"The shark just came up and bit me and I didn't know what to think. At first, I was like 'I should get out of the water. I should tell other people to get out of the water'," Stamm said. "I had adrenaline rush through me, I didn't even feel the pain until I saw the wound."

He was with family friends at the time of the attack.

"They put my leg up, so I wouldn't go into shock. She held my artery up there," Stamm said.

One of the chaperones on the trip, Nancy Gatmaitan, was a nurse who quickly tended to the teen.

"I just put my arms right on the wound and we laid him down and someone came with a towel and wrapped up his leg with a towel and put pressure on he femoral artery and he really stabilized quickly," said Gatmaitan.

"They put pressure on it and the emergency response came pretty quick. I was pretty lucky," Stamm said.

That's when he called his mother to tell her what happened.

"I was, like, 'Um, I got a shark bite'," he recalled. "I thought she was going to be overwhelmed, but she was pretty okay."

Stamm returned home Sunday with the markings of 40 stitches.

"This was the bottom, maybe, he like, chomped down like this and scraped it by. It still has his teeth marks," he said. "It was six feet long and about 60 pounds."

He also has a souvenir, caught days after the shark bite, during a fishing trip.

"We caught a 60-pound shark and this is his dorsal fin. We know it's not the same one but, doggone it, we like to think that it is," said Gatmaitan. "It's a little bit of revenge for Alex."

Stamm gathered Sunday with family and friends to dine on shark steaks and share memories of a vacation that made national headlines.

"I became an instant celebrity in South Carolina," he said.

He says he's not afraid to go back in the water.

"It's like one-in-a-million chance, so I'm definitely going to go back," Stamm said.

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=12907390
We have another tool we are building at https://sharkattacks.net
alb

Re: 07/25/2010 Alex Stamm ( South Carolina )

Post by alb »

Shark bite, dozens of jellyfish stings reported at Isle of Palms
By Andy Paras

ISLE OF PALMS — A teenager reportedly was bitten by a shark this weekend, and dozens more beach-goers were stung by jellyfish.

Isle of Palms Fire Chief Ann Graham said the teenage boy was standing in about 4 feet of water Sunday, throwing a football with a group of friends, when he felt a bite to his lower leg.

The teen saw what appeared to be a shark and yelled for everyone to get out of the water as he ran toward the beach, Graham said.

The boy was treated at the beach and taken to a local hospital.

“It was pretty significant,” Graham said.

Graham said the department also responded to about 50 jellyfish sting calls: 30 calls Saturday, 20 on Sunday and about five so far today.

Jellyfish are common at the beach all year but had been relatively quiet this season until this weekend.

“Up until three days ago it was pretty slow for us,” she said.

Normally, responders will put an alcohol and baking soda mix on the stings and allow the person to be on his or her way. In the rare occasion that a sting victim goes into shock, he is taken to the hospital, Graham said.

Graham cautioned beach-goers to be aware of their surroundings, especially where they step, and not to pick up the creatures.

“Sometimes the tentacles might fall off. You might not see the jellyfish but step on the tentacles,” she said.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010 ... ed-isle-p/
alb

07/25/2010 Alex Stamm ( South Carolina )

Post by alb »

Stamm had to get 40 stitches in his leg after the four-foot-long shark attacked him.-----

Hamilton Co. teen bitten by shark in South Carolina
Updated: Jul 26, 2010 6:09 PM EDT
Alex Stamm
Alex Stamm
alex_stamm.jpg (7.23 KiB) Viewed 23120 times
Stamm had to get 40 stitches in his leg after the four-foot-long shark attacked him.
Stamm had to get 40 stitches in his leg after the four-foot-long shark attacked him.
alex_stamm_foot.jpg (8.25 KiB) Viewed 23120 times

A Hamilton County teenager is thankful to be alive today after being attacked by a shark while on vacation near Charleston, South Carolina. It happened at a popular vacation destination for Hoosiers called Isle Of Palms.

16-year-old Alex Stamm had to get 40 stitches in his leg after the shark attacked him.

The teen arrived for a family vacation at Isle of Palms Sunday and immediately went to the beach.

Stamm says he was in waist deep water when he felt something biting his leg. He says he looked up and saw the shark's tail swimming away. He thinks the shark was about four feet long.

A family member is a registered nurse. She and her sister, a physical therapist, immediately applied pressure to the wound to stop the bleeding.

The family says they originally planned to visit Florida for vacation but decided to come to South Carolina because of the oil spill.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=12872590

Return to “2010 Shark Attack Related Incidents”