"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

06/27/2010 Chad Rogers ( Texas )

Recent listing of shark attacks 2010 and Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2010.
sharkbait
Site Admin

Re: 06/27/2010 Chad Rogers ( Texas )

Post by sharkbait »

Prior to stitches
Prior to stitches
chad_rogers.jpg (16.83 KiB) Viewed 18927 times
Toes
Toes
chad_rogers2.JPG (15.12 KiB) Viewed 18927 times
helmi

06/27/2010 Chad Rogers ( Texas )

Post by helmi »

Surfer Chad Rogers (20) was bitten by a shark at 8 Mile Beach in Galveston, Texas.

Man Bitten By Shark In Galveston
By Carl Willis

POSTED: Thursday, July 8, 2010
UPDATED: 5:42 pm CDT July 8, 2010

GALVESTON, Texas -- A man is recovering after being bitten by a shark at 8 Mile Beach in Galveston, KPRC Local 2 reported Thursday.

Chad Rogers, 20, had been surfing the waters on the island since he was 10 years old. But on June 27, he said he experienced a first while catching some waves.

"Next thing you know I feel something that feels like just a mouth full of needles grab my foot," Rogers said.

Rogers said a shark grabbed a hold of him as he kicked and paddled. He said he saw the blood and what he described as a 5-foot bull shark.

"The only way to get into shore was over him so the scary part was actually paddling in," Rogers said. "I thought I was going to get my hand bitten."

Chief Peter Davis with the Galveston Island Beach Patrol said he doesn't believe it was a shark attack but rather an accident shark bite.

"Sounds like if it just let go and swam away that it was thinking it was eating a fish and found a foot instead, " Davis said.

Rogers had to have 60 stitches. The bite also delays his dreams of becoming a professional baseball player. He was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds and was supposed to pitch for the scouts the day after being bitten.

"It's not going to stop me from doing anything I would have done before the shark bit me; it just postponed things," Rogers said.

KPRC Local 2 first learned of the incident from Jennifer Vogel, Roger's soon to be sister-in-law. She posted the story on yourtowntv.com

"It's kind of freaky to know they have no way of tracking how many shark bites are in this area, " Vogel said.

Chief Davis said he's only heard of seven shark bites in his 28 years with the beach patrol. He believes most major incidents are reported.

"It's a very dramatic thing to hear shark and bite in the same sentence, " Davis said. "The truth of the matter is getting bit by a shark is less likely than getting struck by lightning."

Despite his injuries, Rogers said he's ready to get back in the water.

"I just have to heal up and I'll be back out there," Rogers said. "If I get bit again, I'll probably stay out for sure. I'm not testing my luck that much."

http://www.click2houston.com/news/24186640/detail.html#

Return to “2010 Shark Attack Related Incidents”