"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

07/02/2010 Derek Crane ( California )

Recent listing of shark attacks 2010 and Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2010.
sharkbait
Site Admin

Re: 07/02/2010 Derek Crane ( California )

Post by sharkbait »

Shark Attacks Young Surfer at Shell Beach in Pismo July 15, 2010

On July 2, 2010 Derek Crane, 19, was surfing near Silver Shoals at Shell Beach in Pismo Beach. He was bitten on the foot by a shark and received initial emergency treatment by the Pismo Beach Fire Department.

Here is an account from Derek Crane of the unprovoked shark attack he experienced:

"On July 2nd I was surfing at Shell Beach (6:40 p.m bright sunny night, water was warm, no birds were really around... about 6 other people in the water) and just as I was thinking how much I was going to surf this summer, I felt a vicegrip on my foot.

Instantly my non-dominant hand reached into the water and grabbed the gills of this fish. My hand slid up its gills, I pulled it out of the water a little, and as soon as I snatched it, it released my foot. I saw about 4 feet of it out of water, but I didnt see past the dorsal fin, so I would say it could range from 4-6 feet. Definitely looked like a leopard shark (grey, dark spots, long tail fins), but I havent encountered sharks before. After the bite, it dove under me, and I told my friend who was 4 feet away from me to swim to shore. Paddled as fast as I could, walked up the cliffs of Shell, started holding my foot together and applying pressure and waited for 911.

I did a little research, sites say they don't bite humans, but it clearly got me. I got 18 stitches, and still can't move my toes. Getting an MRI next week, and maybe tendon surgery since it is lacerated."

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/press ... smo_45474/
helmi

07/02/2010 Derek Crane ( California )

Post by helmi »

A 19-year-old sufer was bitten on the left foot by a shark at Pismo Beach, California:

Surfer bitten on foot by shark at Pismo Beach
The Associated Press
Posted: 07/02/2010 09:59:01 PM PDT
Updated: 07/02/2010 09:59:01 PM PDT

PISMO BEACH, Calif.—Authorities say a surfer was taken to a hospital after being bitten on the foot by a shark at Pismo Beach.

The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection says the 19-year-old man was bitten Friday while in the ocean near Silver Shoals. He was out of the water with a cut on his left foot when fire personnel arrived.

The surfer described the shark as approximately four feet long, brown in color with dark spots.

He was driven to a hospital for treatment.

Battalion Chief Steve Reeder says officials determined this was a credible dangerous marine animal sighting and advisories will be posted. Beaches will remain open.

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_1543 ... ck_check=1

Return to “2010 Shark Attack Related Incidents”