"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

06/17/2009 Kevin Crowley ( Florida )

Listing of the Shark Attack Related Incidents occurring in 2009. 2009 Shark Attacks
sharkbait
Site Admin

06/17/2009 Kevin Crowley ( Florida )

Post by sharkbait »

the first reported shark bite this year along Brevard’s 72-milelong coastline. There were four shark bites recorded in Brevard last year, statistics show.--

Teen treated for possible shark bite off Melbourne Beach
BY J.D. GALLOP • FLORIDA TODAY • June 17, 2009

For years, Kevin Crowley has visited his grandparents beachside home and hit the warm ocean waters for a little fun with friends.
Kevin Crowley, 14, of Decatur, Ga., has a story to tell his friends back home after he thinks he was bitten by a shark Tuesday afternoon as he was playing in the Melbourne Beach surf. When Kevin was in the hospital, his friends put a shark photo on his I-phone touch. (Craig Rubadoux, FLORIDA TODAY)
Kevin Crowley, 14, of Decatur, Ga., has a story to tell his friends back home after he thinks he was bitten by a shark Tuesday afternoon as he was playing in the Melbourne Beach surf. When Kevin was in the hospital, his friends put a shark photo on his I-phone touch. (Craig Rubadoux, FLORIDA TODAY)
kevin_crowley.jpg (32.35 KiB) Viewed 14648 times
But this time, the 14-year-old Decatur, Ga., boy has a different story to tell after a summertime splash Tuesday turned into a brief, but violent encounter with a possible shark.

“Me and my friends were army crawling in the water when it just came at me and hit me, like a baseball bat,” said Crowley, who was bitten by a four-to five-foot-long, light brown creature in shallow water just off of Richards Road.

“It just swam away.”

Kevin made it to his grandparents’ home two blocks away with his bloodied arm wrapped in a friend’s T-shirt.

The ninth-grader, who was belly down in the water, received six stitches at Holmes Regional Medical Center to his left arm to close a two-inch gash caused by the apparent shark bite.

The incident happened about 5:30 p.m. and, if confirmed, would be the first reported shark bite this year along Brevard’s 72-milelong coastline. There were four shark bites recorded in Brevard last year, statistics show.

So far, there have been seven reported shark bites statewide this year with 32 recorded for 2008.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/200 ... urne+Beach

Return to “2009 Shark Attack Related Incidents”