"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

10/21/2008 Nicolas Wright ( New Caledonia )

Worldwide Reported Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2008.
sharkbait
Site Admin

Re: 10/21/2008 Nicolas Wright ( New Caledonia )

Post by sharkbait »

Nicolas Wright, 24, was bitten by a shark lemon, last Tuesday, in NEW CALEDONIA during a fishing between the islands and Pam Balabio, off Ouégoa. Koumac hospitalized,

Translated version:

All articles from the journal of 28/10/2008

"I saw the shark at the last moment"
Nicolas Wright, 24, was bitten by a shark lemon, last Tuesday, during a fishing between the islands and Pam Balabio, off Ouégoa. Koumac hospitalized, he delivers his testimony.

Nicolas Wright, a fisherman of 24 years, is better. He was bitten last Tuesday by a Kitefin off Ouégoa while fishing in the islands between apnea and Pam Balabio. This confirmed fisherman, who practices in fishing for sea doe, was under water for his own pleasure (our edition of Saturday).
At the time of the attack, he went back to the surface when he was bitten by a fish. He was caught at leg before being released by its predator. The young man, who used to see sharks, is certain to have recognized a lemon shark.
"I saw at the last moment, measuring about 2 meters and 2.50 meters. It looked like a lemon shark, not a tiger shark because it had no scratches on the side. That day, I was out at sea It plunged since 8 o'clock in the morning and I was attacked at 11 hours. I usually pick the fish and I back in the boat. Here, I did one and I have not had time to recover. The shark was on me, not the fish. "

"I want to get quickly to restore water to resauter"

Nicolas Wright was arrested for both legs of the jaw Kitefin. The right leg was more seriously affected. A friend who was on the boat was rescued immediately. The lemon shark is generally not aggressive but its size and unpredictable behavior can make potentially dangerous.
Repatriated on land, the young fisherman was then taken by ambulance to hospital Koumac where he underwent surgery. Yesterday, the Ouégoa capita was still hospitalized. It was recousu a hundred stitches and his days are not in danger.
Far from being frightened by water, Nicolas Wright demonstrated a morale of steel, and no one thing: "Me resauter to restore the water."
Since the beginning of the year, it is the third attack listed in Caledonian waters, particularly on the East Coast. In May, a fisherman was bitten by small sharks, off Hienghène. In April, a swimmer had been the target of a shark bulldog, to Poindimié, while heats for a crossing to swim.

Geraldine Pion

Original report:

Tous les articles du journal du 28/10/2008

« J'ai vu le requin au dernier moment »
Nicolas Wright, 24 ans, a été mordu par un requin citron, mardi dernier, au cours d’une partie de pêche entre les îlots Pam et Balabio, au large de Ouégoa. Hospitalisé à Koumac, il livre son témoignage.

Nicolas Wright, un pêcheur de 24 ans, va mieux. Il avait été mordu mardi dernier par un squale au large de Ouégoa alors qu’il pêchait en apnée entre les îlots Pam et Balabio. Ce pêcheur confirmé, qui exerce dans la pêche de la biche de mer, était à l’eau pour son propre plaisir (notre édition de samedi).
Au moment de l’attaque, il remontait à la surface alors qu’il venait de piquer un poisson. Il a été attrapé au niveau des cuisses, avant d’être relâché par son prédateur. Le jeune homme, qui a l’habitude de voir des squales, est certain d’avoir reconnu un requin citron.
« Je l’ai vu au dernier moment, il mesurait entre 2 mètres et 2,50 mètres. Il ressemblait à un requin citron, et non à un requin tigre car il n’avait pas de rayures sur le côté. Ce jour-là, j’étais sorti en mer. On plongeait depuis 8 heures du matin et j’ai été attaqué à 11 heures. D’habitude, je pique le poisson et je remonte dans le bateau. Là, je n’en avais qu’un seul et je n’ai pas eu le temps de remonter. Le requin s’est dirigé sur moi, et non sur le poisson. »

« Je veux me rétablir rapidement pour resauter à l’eau »

Nicolas Wright a été saisi aux deux cuisses par la mâchoire du squale. La jambe droite a été plus sérieusement touchée. Un ami qui se trouvait sur le bateau l’a immédiatement secouru. Le requin citron est généralement peu agressif mais sa taille et son comportement imprévisible peuvent le rendre potentiellement dangereux.
Rapatrié sur la terre ferme, le jeune pêcheur a ensuite été conduit en ambulance à l’hôpital de Koumac où il a subi une intervention chirurgicale. Hier, cet habitant de Ouégoa était toujours hospitalisé. Il a été recousu d’une centaine de points de suture et ses jours ne sont pas en danger.
Loin d’être effrayé par l’eau, Nicolas Wright fait preuve d’un moral d’acier, et n’attend qu’une seule chose : « Me rétablir pour resauter à l’eau ».
Depuis le début de l’année, il s’agit de la troisième attaque recensée dans les eaux calédoniennes, et plus particulièrement sur la côte Est. En mai, un pêcheur avait été mordu par plusieurs petits requins, au large de Hienghène. En avril, un nageur avait été la cible d’un requin bouledogue, à Poindimié, alors qu’il s’échauffait pour une traversée à la nage.

Géraldine Pion

http://www.lnc.nc/articles/article_7053 ... _70525.htm
sharkbait
Site Admin

10/21/2008 Nicolas Wright ( New Caledonia )

Post by sharkbait »

Date: October 21, 2008.
Victim: Nicolas Wright (24).
Injuries: both legs.
Circumstances: Spearfishing / Freediving.
Species: Sicklefin Lemon shark , Negaprion acutidens. 2 - 2,5m.
( shark species identified by victim ).

Reported Helmut Nickel AKA (Helmi)

Return to “2008 Shark Attacks ~ Shark Attacks 2008”