"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

07/25/2008 Raft Bitten ( England ) No Injury

Worldwide Reported Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2008.
sharkbait
Site Admin

07/25/2008 Raft Bitten ( England ) No Injury

Post by sharkbait »

Luke Jones, of Pegwell Close, and James Sequin, of Abbotsfield Close, spent a frantic five minutes battling the huge fish which sank its teeth into the side of the dinghy.
Tag.

Teenagers attacked by shark

Published Date:
01 August 2008
By Ken McEwan

TWO teenagers had the fright of their lives when they were attacked by a small shark while out in their dinghy 100 metres off Rock-a-Nore.
Luke Jones, of Pegwell Close, and James Sequin, of Abbotsfield Close
Luke Jones, of Pegwell Close, and James Sequin, of Abbotsfield Close
luke-jones-james-sequin.jpg (11.9 KiB) Viewed 12805 times
Luke Jones, of Pegwell Close, and James Sequin, of Abbotsfield Close, spent a frantic five minutes battling the huge fish which sank its teeth into the side of the dinghy.

The two 16-year-olds were practising for a dinghy race when the attack occurred last week.

Said Luke: "We were at least 100 metres offshore when all of a sudden a wave went over us and this huge thing leapt into the boat.

"We managed to whack it away with our oars and it went back into the sea, only to come back for a second time.

"It was more than a metre long and looked like a baby shark. We kept whacking it and finally managed to get it back into the sea.

"When we were sure it was dead, we hauled it back into the dinghy, got it back to the beach and took a picture of it.
"But it was a really frightening experience."

Although the two boys managed to get back to shore, the fish's teeth had torn the side of the dinghy which is of no further use.

Said Luke's dad Nigel Jones: "I thought they were having me on when they told me about the incident, but when I saw how flustered Luke was, I realised it was true.

"I spent a lot of time in dinghies when I was younger but never experienced anything like this."

The Observer passed a photograph of the huge fish to experts at Blue Reef Aquarium who idenitified it as an adult Starry Smoothound shark.
Aquarium manager Jane Wharmby said this type of shark, which grows up to 1.5metres, is common to UK waters.

Urging swimmers and sailors to remain calm if one is spotted, she said: "These are not big sharks and they only go for prey that know they can tackle. They are non-agressive and would swim away if they came across anyone in the sea.

"I have never known anyone to be bitten by a Starry Smoothound."
She doubted that the shark was responsible for damaging the boys' dinghy, adding: "A dinghy would be too big for the shark and it would simply swim away from such a large threat. It only has a small jaw so would be difficult for it to bite the dinghy.

"The reason for it being near the surface might have been because it was sick or injured."
Starry Smoothounds can be seen at the aquarium in Rock-a-Nore Road.

http://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/479/Teen ... 4348761.jp

Return to “2008 Shark Attacks ~ Shark Attacks 2008”