"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

08/09/2007 Chase Crawford (South Carolina)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2007.
sharkbait
Site Admin

08/09/2007 Chase Crawford (South Carolina)

Post by sharkbait »

Chase Crawford Two shark attacks have been reported off the Isle of Palms, South Carolina the shark bit the nine-year-old boy on the leg

10 year old boy

Two shark attacks reported off Isle of Palms

Aug 9, 2007 07:01 PM EDT

Administrator speaks about shark attacks at Isle of Palms. David Stanton reports.
Sharks attack two at Isle of Palms. Judi Gatson gets the latest.
Check All | Clear All

ISLE OF PALMS, SC (AP/WIS) - Two shark attacks have been reported off the Isle of Palms. Workers say one happened just outside the county park at the Isle of Palms and another about three hours later outside Wild Dunes.

When the shark bit the nine-year-old boy, authorities say they had to temporarily close part of the beach. That was around 2pm. The closure affected 200 yards of each side of the Isle of Palms pier.

Isle of Palms Police say the boy's injury was significant but not life-threatening. Isle Of Palms City Administrator Linda Tucker says the child had lower leg and ankle injuries and was sent to East Cooper.

One witness told The Post and Courier of Charleston that the boy just got a little too close to the shark.

The second attack happened at Wild Dunes around 4:30pm.

According to 911 both victims were both bitten on the leg.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S ... v=menu36_3
Last edited by sharkbait on Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Nine-year-old describes how shark attacked him

Aug 10, 2007 09:17 PM EDT

Mayor of Isle of Palms speaks about reported shark attacks.

David Stanton reports.

Two possible shark attacks off SC coast

Sharks attack at Isle of Palms

Administrator speaks about shark attacks at Isle of Palms.

David Stanton reports.

Two shark attacks reported off Isle of Palms

ISLE OF PALMS, SC (AP/NBC) - The waters off a seven mile stretch of a South Carolina beach have reopened after reports of two possible shark bites.

Administrator Linda Tucker says the waters off the Isle of Palms near Charleston were closed Thursday afternoon when a nine-year-old boy and 30-year-old man sustained leg injuries within three hours of each other.

Tucker says the locations where the two were injured were separated by about four miles. She could not confirm the injuries were shark bites; however, a marine biologist says Friday that they likely were.

Bryan Frazier is a marine biologist with the Department of Natural Resources. He says he would need to see photos to say for sure if they were shark bites. But Frazier says it sounds like they are shark bites.

Nine-year-old Chase Crawford says the shark attacked him while he was riding a boogie board Thursday afternoon.

Chase had been in the ocean for several hours with his dad and brother, and says the attack happened in knee-deep water as they were heading back to shore. "I felt something bite me and I yelled, 'Dad!' and I could not pull my leg out of his mouth."

His father, Phillip Crawford, says, "I look down and I see this tail fin thrashing around his legs and I knew what it was. I said I have to get him out of here. I scooped him up and he had a bloody foot."

The family of the 30-year-old has released a statement on the shark attack:

"Yesterday, while swimming at a Charleston beach with his family, our son Noah Green was stricken with a severe ankle laceration and dislocation caused by a fish believed to be a shark. The event occurred in about three feet of water and within 25 - 30 yards of the shoreline at around 4:30 pm.

"Noah is a 30 year-old teacher who is visiting his Iowa and Nebraska family in between teaching assignments in China. Noah has been teaching English in either China or South Korea for five years.

"Our family selected Charleston SC as a location for this post-graduation family reunion of eleven immediate family members and a guest from the states of Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Kentucky and Virginia. Noah's 26 year-old sister is using the trip as a chance research Charleston as a location for a 2008 destination wedding.

"During the first exploratory surgery last evening, the ankle was repositioned and the wound cleaned and evaluated. We are expecting to conduct a second, reconstruction and repair surgery later today.

"Noah's spirits are good. His first concern was for the reaction of his bride, Ling, whom he married last month in China. He has communicated his condition to her through email connections, and we are trying to make her understand the situation. His second concern was for the well-being of the young swimmer who experienced a similar attack no more than two hours earlier in the same area.

"The family is grateful for the quick reactions and courage of those on the beach who contributed to the rescue. We were fortunate to have a surgeon, doctor and nurse all vacationing on the beach near us. The paramedics and the emergency action people of Mount Pleasant reacted quickly to Noah's needs, and we feel the personnel of East Cooper Regional Medical Center have aided greatly with our support. Accidents of this nature reinforce the need to have an appropriate emergency notification plan in place, and have the necessary emergency equipment at hand to aid with emergency recoveries at both public and private beaches.

"Noah would like to thank the people of the city of Charleston and all those who have extended their sympathy and support."

Helicopters, boats and officials are on the beach to patrol the coastline Friday.

Tucker says it has been at least five years since anyone was bitten by a shark along the Isle of Palms, which is about 15 miles north of Charleston.

The Florida Museum of Natural History says the last fatal shark bite in South Carolina was in 1883.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S ... menu36_6_1
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Nine Year Old Bitten By Shark Expected To Recover

Friday August 10, 2007 3:47pm

Posted By: Sandee Jackson

Charleston, SC - The family of nine-year-old Chase Crawford expects the boy to make a full recovery from an apparent shark bite.

In a statement released Friday, the father of the Goose Creek boy says:

"Chase, Tommy (Chase's thirteen-year-old brother) and I were swimming at the Isle of Palms beach Thursday (Thursday). We had been swimming for a couple of hours, and we were walking out of the water about 2:30pm when Chase was bitten by a shark (3 and 1/2 feet or so). Chase was in knee deep water, while Phillip was walking about five feet behind him. Chase started yelling 'Dad', 'Dad'. I looked down at him and saw a tail fin thrashing around his legs. I knew it had to be a shark. I then went over to Chase and scooped him out of the water; his foot was cut up and bleeding. I carried Chase out of the water and called for a life guard. The first person to help was an ER nurse, who just happened to be at the beach that day. She quickly took Chase and began wrapping his foot in a towel. Soon after that, beach life guards and EMS quickly responded.

Chase was transported to MUSC. We are very thankful for the wonderful and quick care we received at the beach (ER nurse, life guards, EMS, police and the fire department). We also have received excellent care at MUSC. Chase is expecting to have a full recovery."

Ironically, Chase Crawford's bite came just hours before the apparent attack of 30-year-old Noah Green; Green's injuries were more severe.

http://www.abcnews4.com/news/stories/0807/446545.html
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Shark Bite Update

Friday, Aug 10, 2007 - 11:17 AM Updated: 06:44 PM

By Reporter: Meryl Conant
Photojournalist: David Keller
Two shark bite victims are recovering this evening after both undergoing surgery. Both the 9-year-old and 30-year-old victims report feeling a bite while in just a few feet of water at the Isle of Palms. The 9-year-old boy spoke about his ordeal only to Count on 2.

Chase Crawford turns 10 next weekend. While he has been alive less than one decade, this week he has experienced more than most every adult.

After hours of bogey-boarding with his dad and brother Thursday, they headed towards shore.

“I felt something bite me and I yelled dad and I could not pull my leg out of his mouth,” Chase explained.

“What were you thinking? What were your first thoughts?” reporter Meryl Conant asked.

“I hope I don't die,” he responded.

“I look down and I see this tail fin thrashing around his legs and I knew what it was,” said Chase’s father, Phillip Crawford.

“It was a mix between dull and sharp pain and blood,” Chase explained.

“It was just like a nightmare when you see that as a parent,” Phillip added.

For Phillip and Diane Crawford, the next six hours were filled with bated breath as Chase underwent surgery.

“When they said a full recovery is expected we could exhale for just a moment,” Diane explained.

Chase is expected to head home on Wednesday but will spend the next few weeks on crutches.

He used to love going into the ocean with his dad but he says he does not think he ever will want to go in again.

The other victim, 30-year-old Noah Green also was close to shore in just three feet of water when a shark bit his ankle. He too requires multiple surgeries. Green currently lives in China and is in town for a family reunion with more than ten of his relatives

http://www.wcbd.com/midatlantic/cbd/new ... -0022.html

Return to “2007 Reported Shark Attacks”