"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

06/24/2007 Male (Hawaii) No Injury

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2007.
sharkbait
Site Admin

06/24/2007 Male (Hawaii) No Injury

Post by sharkbait »

Shark Attacks North Shore Surfer
Grace Lee - glee@kgmb9.com

A surfer was paddling out when he felt a tug on his board. Very quickly he realized he was being dragged underwater by a shark. It happened just after seven on Sunday morning at a popular surf spot called Silva's channel in Mokuleia.

Some local surfers said they're not sure, but they believe it was a dark gray tiger or reef shark that was about six feet long. Witnesses reported that the shark nearly chomped through the surf board missing the surfer by centimeters.

George Rio spoke to the shark attack victim just a few minutes after the encounter. "When he was paddling out, he felt something grab his board really hard and actually took him under the water. When it came up, it could have bit him, but he put the board towards the shark's mouth instead of going for him, it went for the board," said Rio. As for the victim's reaction, Rio said, "he seemed like he was still in a daze... in shock like he cannot believe that a shark bit his board and could have bitten him."

Already locals have posted signs warning beachgoers of the shark attack. It spooked some Mokuleia beach residents including Pamela Ney-Noyes who said, "I guess these things sometimes happen. I was just hoping that it didn't mean there were more sharks coming our way."

For those who love the waves, like surfer Chris Gibbon, he said the shark attack will not stop him from getting in the water. He paddled out just before sunset. "I don't like to live my life in fear. I just want to do what I love and try not to think about it too much," said Gibbon.

As for the surfer who was attacked, Rio believes, "he's blessed. Someone is watching over him, some angels or something." With no injuries from the incident, Rio might just be right.

http://kgmb9.com/kgmb/display.cfm?storyID=11782[/img]

Return to “2007 Reported Shark Attacks”