"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

03/21/2007 Sam Chiet (Florida)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2007.
sharkbait
Site Admin

03/21/2007 Sam Chiet (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

5th-grader bitten 3 times in shark attack in Jupiter Inlet

Jupiter teen is attacked three times by a shark while surfing.

By WPTV
Posted at 2:05 p.m.
March 23, 2007
JUPITER — The fifth-grader says the bite won't keep him from surfing again. Sam Chiet is one lucky little surfing dude.
It's not every day you stick your foot in the mouth of a shark and pull it out with all the toes still attached.

"I was just really scared, it hurt really bad," Sam said.
Sam was surfing in the Jupiter Inlet on Wednesday evening when he paddled over a wave and smack into a shark.

By the time he saw the four- or five-footer, it was too late.

"When I came back down I either stepped on the shark and he came around and bit me or I stepped in his mouth when he was trying to get another fish," says the boy.

The shark bit Sam three times. Once on the toes, once on his calf, and then again as it dragged its teeth off the boy's leg.

"It felt like razor blades or needles poking into my leg," he says.

Facing a shark is a frightening experience for anyone, let alone a fifth-grader.

Sam wound up with hundreds of stitches.

It's one heck of a way to earn a shark tooth necklace from his grandfather.

"His surgeon spent two and a half hours last night stitching him up, cleaning him up, and stitching him up," said his mother, Shellie Chiet.

But if there is anything cool about being bitten by a shark, it's the story you have to tell.

And already Sam is the stud of Limestone Creek Elementary.

"It's kind of a cool scar," says his best friend Parker Greenwood.

Sam's mother calls him the only Jewish surfer, the kid who's out there six days a week, except for Tuesdays when he has Hebrew school.

And Sam says he'll be back out there. After all what are the odds of being bitten twice?

"It's fun," he says.

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/ar ... 36,00.html
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

5th-grader bitten 3 times in shark attack in Jupiter Inlet

Jupiter teen is attacked three times by a shark while surfing.
By staff report
March 24, 2007
JUPITER — Sam Chiet is one lucky little surfing dude. It's not every day you stick your foot in the mouth of a shark and pull it out with all the toes still attached.
"I was just really scared, it hurt really bad," says Chiet, 11, who was surfing in the Jupiter Inlet on Wednesday evening when he paddled over a wave and smack into a shark.

By the time he saw the 4- or 5-footer, it was too late.
"When I came back down, I either stepped on the shark and he came around and bit me, or I stepped in his mouth when he was trying to get another fish," Chiet said.

The shark bit Sam three times. Once on the toes, once on his calf, and then again as it dragged its teeth off the boy's leg. "It felt like razor blades or needles poking into my leg," he said.

Facing a shark is a frightening experience for anyone, let alone a fifth-grader. He wound up with hundreds of stitches.

"His surgeon spent two and a half hours last night stitching him up, cleaning him up, and stitching him up," says his mother, Shellie Chiet.

But if there is anything cool about being bitten by a shark, it's the story you have to tell. And already Sam is the stud of Limestone Creek Elementary.

"It's kind of a cool scar," says his best friend Parker Greenwood.

Sam's mother calls him the only Jewish surfer, the kid who's out there six days a week, except for Tuesdays when he has Hebrew school.

And Sam says he'll be back out there. After all, what are the odds of being bitten twice?

"It's fun," he says.

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/jupiter_couri ... 36,00.html

Return to “2007 Reported Shark Attacks”