"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

10/07/2007 Sam Bendall (California)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2007.
sharkbait
Site Admin

10/07/2007 Sam Bendall (California)

Post by sharkbait »

10-Oct-2007
USA
California
Venice Pier, Venice, Los Angeles County
Activity: Surfing
Name: Sam Bendall
Sex: M
Injury: 4 scratches on left hand
Time: 20h30
Shark Length: 3' to 4' shark

On October 7, 2007 Sam Bendall was surfing near the Venice Pier. It was between 8:00 and 8:30 PM and he had been on the water one hour. He was 80 – 100 feet from shore in water 4 – 6 feet deep. There was a light fog with a mild breeze. There were 1 – 3 foot wave sets with a glassy ocean surface. Bendall recounted; “It was toward the end of my session and I was heading back out when I felt a sharp stinging sensation on my left hand at the end of my paddle. I immediately reacted by pulling my hand out of the water and as I looked back I saw a brownish figure in the corner of my eye. It looked to be about 3-4 feet in length. I immediately headed for shore and assessed my injuries. I suffered minor scrapes and bleeding with no deep wounds. I have 4 scratch marks that were equally spaced in a half circular pattern on my left hand by the base of my thumb and wrist. The scratches range from the top one being the longest in length, and deepest, to the ones below it becoming shorter and less deep

Source: R. Collier, GSAF

Return to “2007 Reported Shark Attacks”