"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

07/20/2006 Dallas Jackson (South Carolina)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2006.
sharkbait
Site Admin

07/20/2006 Dallas Jackson (South Carolina)

Post by sharkbait »

Vacationer Suffers Possible Shark Bite Off Hilton Head Island

A man vacationing on Hilton Head Island this week got quite a scare. Dallas Jackson says a shark bit him. He was bitten on the foot and ankle; fortunately for him, the shark or whatever bit him didn't like what it tasted and didn't bite him again.

"The first thing I thought was shark, that's when I started screaming, 'Get out of the water,'" Jackson told us.

Jackson is on vacation from Ohio, but since Monday he's been laid up at his Hilton Head Island condo at Crabline Court.

"The jaws of the shark basically surrounded my foot like," he said.

He has 12 stitches and several puncture wounds on his right foot to prove it. He's says the shark bit him while he and his family were cooling off in the ocean.

"I was standing in waist high water and I felt something hit my leg pretty hard," he said. "It felt like something hitting me with a baseball bat, then it gave a tug."

Dallas went to a local hospital. He says a paramedic told him it looks like a five-foot shark bit him. And the same doctor who treated Dallas also treated a young girl who was bitten by a shark last month near Coligny Beach.

The family says what bothered them most about all this is there aren't any lifeguards or emergency crews on this part of the beach, so if Dallas' bite had been any worse, there wouldn't have been anyone around to rush to his aid.

They want families to think about this next time they head out into the open waters.

"Like myself and my family, not realizing there's danger right off the shore, I think people need to know there are things under the water we're not aware of," Dallas said.

The Jackson family is a little nervous and doesn't plan to get back into the ocean just yet, but they say this incident won't keep them away for long.

The doctor told Dallas to stay out of the water for a while. He and his family go home to Ohio on Saturday.

Dallas' son says he already looking forward to telling this story to his classmates when he goes back to school in few weeks.

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5178721
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Shark attack reported at Hilton Head
If bite is confirmed, it will be the 4th recorded off S.C. coast this year
GINNY SKALSKI
(Hilton Head) Island Packet
HILTON HEAD, S.C. - Dallas Jackson will return to his Ohio home this week with a souvenir that most Hilton Head Island visitors would rather do without.

The Sylvania, Ohio, resident apparently was bitten by a shark at Singleton Beach on Monday, requiring about a dozen stitches on his leg above his ankle.

Authorities have not confirmed the incident, but Jackson said the teeth marks and puncture wounds on his foot and ankle are all the confirmation he needs.

Ralph Wagner, director of Shore Beach Service, which provides lifeguard services for the town of Hilton Head Island, said he will report the attack to the Shark Research Institute, which maintains the Global Shark Attack File.

Because Jackson was swimming in an area where there were no nearby lifeguards, it will be up to the center to decide whether to add the bite to the list of attacks.

If the shark bite is confirmed, it will be the fourth recorded attack in South Carolina and the second on Hilton Head Island this year.

Jackson's trouble began about 10 a.m. Monday while he was standing in waist-deep water watching his wife and 8-year-old son boogie-board.

"I just felt a very large, almost like a baseball bat, hitting me in the leg," Jackson said. "It was really hard. It kind of knocked me off balance, and I felt a little bit of a tug at the same time.

"The first thing that went through my mind was, `I just got bit by a shark.' "

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/n ... 097507.htm
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Local man bitten by shark in S. Carolina
By Michael Brooks
Toledo Free Press Staff Writer

While vacationing with his family last week, Sylvania resident Dallas Jackson received quite a scare — he was bitten in the foot and leg by a 6-foot shark.

Jackson said he and his family were swimming and surfing at Singleton Beach when he felt a hard thump that was “like being hit with a baseball bat.”

“I was in waist-deep water and just talking with my wife and 8-year-old son when I got knocked forward,” he said. “The first thing that came to my mind was that it was a shark. I started yelling at my family to get out of the water.”

Although at first skeptical, his family returned to the shore, and Jackson examined his wounds.

“There was a huge gash on my right leg above the ankle, and my wife started pouring bottled water on it,” he said. “It kept bleeding, though, and then I noticed the blood was pouring out of the bottom of my foot.”

The shark left Jackson with 13 puncture wounds on the bottom of his right foot; all told a dozen stitches were needed to sew his leg back together. Based on the distance between the farthest puncture marks, Jackson estimated the shark's mouth had a spread of “at least 10 inches.”

Jackson, who is the assistant superintendent of Sylvania Public Schools, said shark attacks near Hilton Head are rare.

“We have visited the area many times, and had never heard of an attack before,” he said. “There may have been one or two others this year, but 2001 was the last time an attack was reported.”

The wounds have healed since he was hospitalized, said Jackson, and the incident left him grateful for several things.

“I was very fortunate that the shark did not return,” he said. “But most of all, I am so thankful it was me that was attacked and not my son, who was swimming 10 to 15 feet in front of me.”

http://www.toledofreepress.com/?id=3703
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Shark attack reported at Hilton Head
If bite is confirmed, it will be the 4th recorded off S.C. coast this year
GINNY SKALSKI
(Hilton Head) Island Packet
HILTON HEAD, S.C. - Dallas Jackson will return to his Ohio home this week with a souvenir that most Hilton Head Island visitors would rather do without.

The Sylvania, Ohio, resident apparently was bitten by a shark at Singleton Beach on Monday, requiring about a dozen stitches on his leg above his ankle.

Authorities have not confirmed the incident, but Jackson said the teeth marks and puncture wounds on his foot and ankle are all the confirmation he needs.

Ralph Wagner, director of Shore Beach Service, which provides lifeguard services for the town of Hilton Head Island, said he will report the attack to the Shark Research Institute, which maintains the Global Shark Attack File.

Because Jackson was swimming in an area where there were no nearby lifeguards, it will be up to the center to decide whether to add the bite to the list of attacks.

If the shark bite is confirmed, it will be the fourth recorded attack in South Carolina and the second on Hilton Head Island this year.

Jackson's trouble began about 10 a.m. Monday while he was standing in waist-deep water watching his wife and 8-year-old son boogie-board.

"I just felt a very large, almost like a baseball bat, hitting me in the leg," Jackson said. "It was really hard. It kind of knocked me off balance, and I felt a little bit of a tug at the same time.

"The first thing that went through my mind was, `I just got bit by a shark.' "

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/n ... 097507.htm

Return to “2006 Reported Shark Accidents”