11/25/2005 Tom Burke (Australia)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2005
sharkbait
Site Admin

11/25/2005 Tom Burke (Australia)

Post by sharkbait »

Surfer mauled by huge shark
November 27, 2005

A TEENAGE surfer has told how he desperately fought to escape a shark which bit his leg in a terrifying attack off the Victorian coast.

Tom Burke, 18, furiously punched and kicked the predator after it attacked him while surfing off Flinders, in Western Port Bay, on Friday evening.
He then paddled back to shore, scared the shark would come after him and too fearful to look at his wounded leg, believing it may have been bitten off.

The mauling follows a spate of shark attacks off the South Australian and West Australian coasts and an attack on a surfer earlier this year at Sydney's Bronte beach.

Recovering at his Mornington home yesterday, Mr Burke described how the beast, believed to be a 1.8m bronze whaler, repeatedly tried to grab him.

The apprentice carpenter said he was lying on his surfboard waiting for a wave when the shark struck about 6.15pm.

"I just started feeling really weird, then I saw a big black thing come up. I just got ripped off the board," Mr Burke said.
"I punched it as hard as I could, then I started kicking (it).

"I didn't really have a clue what was going on, it was surreal."

Nearby surfers came to his aid, gathering everyone in the water together and helping Mr Burke back to shore.

He has vowed never to surf again.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17 ... 43,00.html
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

I cracked shark on head: surfer

27nov05
A TEENAGE surfer has told how he desperately fought for his life to escape a shark which bit his leg in a terrifying attack off the Victorian coast.

Tom Burke, 18, punched and kicked the predator as it attacked him while surfing off Flinders, in Western Port Bay, on Friday evening.

He then paddled back to shore, scared the shark would come after him and too fearful to look at his wounded leg, believing it may have been bitten off.

Recovering at his Mornington home yesterday, the brave teenager described how the shark, believed to be a 1.8m bronze whaler, repeatedly tried to grab him.

The carpenter said he was lying on his surfboard waiting for a wave when the shark struck about 6.15pm.

"I just started feeling really weird, then I saw a big black thing come up. I just got ripped off the board," Mr Burke said.

"I punched it as hard as I could, then I started kicking it.

"I saw the big black mark come back up and I cracked its head as hard as I could.

"I didn't really have a clue what was going on, it was surreal."

His mate, Simon Chambers, was surfing nearby and initially thought it was a joke.

"He lost his balance and fell off his board and said `something is biting me' – we laughed it off," Mr Chambers said.

"But then there was a big splash and the board went flying."

Nearby surfers came to their aid, gathering everyone in the water together and helping Mr Burke back to shore.

It was only when on land that Mr Burke summoned the courage to examine his injuries.

"I looked down and there was a massive gash on my leg," he said.

Mr Burke, who was also in Bali at the time of the 2002 bombings, was rushed to hospital by Mr Chambers and received 16 stitches to the wound.

His stunned father, Tom senior, said his son was yet to realise how lucky he was to escape with his life.

"If it had been really hungry he wouldn't be here now," Mr Burke snr said.

"Fortunately it was 16 stitches, but it could have been a lot worse. It makes you feel sick in the stomach."

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/co ... 82,00.html

Return to “2005 Reported Shark Incidents”