sharkbait
Site Admin

10/25/2005 James Bumpers (St. Martin)

Post by sharkbait »

Buffalo Man Bitten by Shark

Posted by: Laura Steele, Anchor/Reporter
Created: 11/7/2005 10:58:34 PM
Updated: 11/8/2005 12:47:11 PM

Don't go into the water. That's what a Buffalo couple is saying after a shark attack cut their trip to the Carribean short.

James Bumpers was just getting out of the bay near his hotel, the SunTerra Royal Palm Resort, when he felt something bang into his leg.

"I was in about four feet of water," says James,
"I felt something hit my leg real hard and then I looked down and saw something swim away." He said it looked like a fish in the muddy water, several feet long. But when he emerged, he saw what happened.

"When I hit the shoreline, I saw the leg was split open," says James, "it was down to the bone."

James and his wife Phyllis are upset that it took the resort 24 hours to post a notice about the attack. Phyllis believes, "They have done nothing to protect the safety of these people especially the children who are swimming in those waters."

Now, two weeks later, his leg still swollen and stitched up, the National Shark Research Institute in New Jersey, is researching his case.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.a ... ryid=33005
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4077044

Shark Takes Bite Out of Buffalo Man's Recent Vacation
Nov 5, 2005, 01:32 PM

(Buffalo, NY, November 5, 2005) - - A shark took a big bite out of a Buffalo man's recent Caribbean Vacation. News 4's Barbara Pinson reports on this man's incredible story.

Shark attack victim James Bumpers: "All of a sudden I heard and I felt something hit my leg."

Jjames Bumpers of Buffalo says that something turned out to be a small shark that sunk it's teeth into his right leg.

It happened last Wednesday while James and his wife Phyllis were visiting the Club Sunterra Resort in St. Martin, part of their time share. James says he didn't panic until he saw his leg split open and bleed. James Bumpers: "Honestly I couldn't feel the pain until after I got to the emergency room. I started feeling a little pain when he starting sewing me up."

James' wife Phyllis Bumpers: "I'm still in shock, I still cant' believe this happened while we were on our vacation."

James says he saw something swim away, but that the water was murky.

It was his two doctors in St. Martin who concluded the bite was from a shark. James Bumpers: "It could have been a lot worse. It could have been my leg or it could have been more serious than this so I thank the lord for that. You know I thank him every time I look at it."

Return to “2005 Reported Shark Incidents”