07/23/2005 Bob Thompson (Florida)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2005
sharkbait
Site Admin

07/23/2005 Bob Thompson (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Shark bites swimmer in Ormond Beach

STAFF REPORT

DAYTONA BEACH — A man surfing in the ocean in Ormond Beach became Volusia County´s latest shark bite victim Saturday, Beach Patrol officials said.

Sixty-three-year-old Robert Thompson was bitten on his right foot in the water south of the Seminole Avenue beach approach about 11:30 a.m., Beach Patrol spokesman Scott Petersohn said.

Thompson suffered lacerations on the bottom of his toes and the end of his foot, but the bite was "very, very minor," Petersohn said.

"We bandaged him up and he walked off and went home," Petersohn said.

Saturday´s incident is the second or third reported bite this year. On May 28, a Miami man swimming in Daytona Beach Shores was bitten on his left foot.

On Friday, Heathrow resident Matthew Pearce, 25, was surfing a quarter mile south of Ponce de Leon Inlet when he felt a bite on his left ankle. However, doctors said the laceration did not have the typical characteristics of a shark bite.

Although nobody on the beach saw a shark in the area Saturday morning, Thompson´s injury "had all the telltale signs of a shark bite," Petersohn said.

The beach near the area of the incident remained open to swimmers Saturday. The prevalence of sharks in the area is due to a mixture of cooler, murkier water and the presence of bait fish, Petersohn said.

He encouraged swimmers to watch for warning signs that a shark may be in the area.

"If you see bait fish in the area or see a pelican in the sky carrying a fish away, it may be a sign there are other predators in the area," he said.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/speci ... 072405.htm
Last edited by sharkbait on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Bull Shark Grabs 61-Year-Old's Foot
Thompson: 'It Was Like Being Hit With A Bear Trap'

A 61-year-old man is recovering Sunday after a bull shark grabbed his foot as he swam in waters off Ormond Beach, Fla., according to WKMG-TV in Orlando.

"It was like being hit with a bear trap," Thompson said. "I went out for a little surf session and went to kick off the board and I was hit by a shark."

Bob Thompson said he was hit by a 4- or 5-foot bull shark.

"It was like being hit with a bear trap," Thompson said. "I went out for a little surf session and went to kick off the board and I was hit by a shark."

Thompson was able to free his right foot and swim to shore. He immediately warned other swimmers.

"I was concerned about the young girls there because if they were feeding in that area, they were 15 yards from me," Thompson said.

Thompson said he has never had an encounter with a shark during his 40 years in the water.

He said he will return to the water when his injuries heal.

Return to “2005 Reported Shark Incidents”