"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

03/27/2005 Chris Parker ( Australia ) No Injury

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2005
sharkbait
Site Admin

03/27/2005 Chris Parker ( Australia ) No Injury

Post by sharkbait »

Man 'kept paddling' from shark

A NSW man has told of his escape from a four-metre great white shark off the state's central coast.

By Chris Evans
March 27, 2005

Chris Parker, a father of two of Bateau Bay, said yesterday he was 60 metres from shore and paddling for a wave when the shark, twice the length of his board, hit him from behind and catapulted him into the water.

"I saw its head, its dorsal fin and its tail," he said. "I managed to get back on my board and then saw how far I was from shore, and I thought I was gone, for sure.

"But I just kept paddling. I kept waiting for it to hit me, but I didn't look back. It was the biggest fish I'd ever seen."

Mr Parker's encounter was at least the fifth between a man and a shark in Australian waters this summer.

Last Saturday, Geoffrey Brazier, 26, was killed by a shark while snorkelling in Western Australia. On January 14 a three-metre shark frightened a children's regatta on the Mornington Peninsula.

On December 16, Nick Peterson, 18, was killed by two great whites while riding a surfboard being towed behind a boat off West Beach in Adelaide.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/ ... 81505.html

Return to “2005 Reported Shark Incidents”