Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2005
sharkbait
Site Admin

01/15/2005 Boat ( Australia ) No Injury

Post by sharkbait »

Shark menaces children's boat race
By Jamie Duncan
January 15, 2005
A three-metre shark menaced a children's regatta on the Mornington Peninsula yesterday afternoon, biting a hole
in an inflatable patrol dinghy that attempted to drive it away.

At the time 117 children aged eight to 13 were competing in a regatta in two metres of water in Port Phillip Bay,
between Blairgowrie and Rye.

Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron committee member Brian Smith said that after the shark was spotted near the
children's yachts, a fleet of patrol boats used to maintain safety during the race tried to herd it out to sea.
Five people were on the patrol boat that the shark attacked, Mr Smith said. "It didn't like being herded away and it
came up on one of the patrol boats and bit it," Mr Smith said.

"I think it was a defensive thing." he said.

No one was injured but the patrol boat crew, members of the Sorrento Sailing and Couta Boat Club, were shaken.
Mr Smith said it was rare for sharks to be seen in that part of the bay. "I've spoken to a number of guys who have
been sailing in the area for 30-plus years and they say in that entire time they've experienced one or two sharks,"
he said.

The shark swam away from the race and to deeper water soon after the incident. "My guess is its tail came into
contact with the propeller of the boat because it scooted off pretty quickly," Mr Smith said.

Shortly after, gusty winds capsized some of the boats in the field, causing further headaches for the patrol boats,
Mr Smith said.

"The patrol boats did a fantastic job picking up all the kids quickly and later retrieving the boats," Mr Smith said.
The Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron will run another race in the same area today, Mr Smith said.
"I haven't heard of anyone that has decided not to race again because of it," he said.

- AAP
.theage.com.au
------------------------------------------------------

Shark attacks boat at Victorian children's sailing event
January 15, 2005

A three-metre shark menaced a children's sailing regatta on Victoria's Mornington Peninsula yesterday and bit a
hole in an inflatable patrol dinghy that attempted to drive it away.

At the time 117 children aged eight to 13 were competing in a regatta in two metres of water in Port Phillip Bay,
between Blairgowrie and Rye, about 1.30pm (AEDT).

Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron committee member Brian Smith said after the shark was spotted near the youngsters'
boats, a fleet of inflatable patrol boats used to maintain safety during the race tried to herd it out to sea.
Five people were on the patrol boat that the shark attacked, Mr Smith said.

"It didn't like being herded away and it came up on one of the patrol boats and bit it," Mr Smith said.
Mr Smith, who manages the patrol boats for the committee, was 30 metres away on another boat.
"I think it was a defensive thing." he said.

"It bit a small hole in the craft but because it is a multi-chamber thing, it deflated one part and it was able to return
to shore."

No-one was injured but the patrol boat crew, members of the Sorrento Sailing and Couta Boat Club, were shaken.

"The people on the boat were probably pretty alarmed but no-one was injured," he said.

"We did not lose any of the boats and all the kids were OK."

Mr Smith said it was rare for sharks to be seen in that part of the bay.

"I've spoken to a number of guys who have been sailing in the area for 30-plus years and they say in that entire
time they've experienced one or two sharks," he said.

"It's not something you necessarily expect to see but then we have a spotter plane that regularly patrols this part of
the peninsula."

The shark swam away from the race and to deeper water shortly after.

"My guess is its tail came into contact with the propeller of the boat because it scooted off pretty quickly," Mr Smith
said.

Shortly after the incident, gusty winds capsized some of the boats in the field, causing further headaches for the
patrol boats, Mr Smith said.

"The patrol boats did a fantastic job picking up all the kids quickly and later retrieving the boats," Mr Smith said.

The Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron will run another race in the same area today, Mr Smith said.

"I haven't heard of anyone that has decided not to race again because of it," he said.

"The events are really well run and everyone is familiar with the water and knows that that's all a part of it."
AAP
smh.com.au

Return to “2005 Reported Shark Incidents”