NSW Police Force
04. April 2014

A cap and goggles, belonging to a woman who was taken by a shark on the state’s Far South Coast yesterday (Thursday 3 April 2014), have been located.

The search resumed this morning and is focussing on the southern end of Tathra Beach. Police divers have also joined the search.

The cap and goggles were found late yesterday with a quantity of organic matter.

These remains have been identified as human and they will undergo forensic testing. The results are not expected to be known for several weeks.


The search for the remains of Christine Armstrong at Tathra Beach have concluded, following an extensive two day search by land and sea. About midday NSW Police Divers made an extensive search of the area where Mrs Armstrong was last seen without success. No further evidence has been located.

Following a meeting between Police, Department of Primary Industries, Bega Valley Shire Council and Surf Life Saving NSW a decision was reached that the Tathra Beach remain closed to the public overnight.

Patrols of Tathra Beach and surrounds will commence about 8am Saturday the 5th April, with the Westpac helicopter also being utilised to patrol beaches from Moruya to Eden on both Saturday and Sunday, prior to Tathra Beach being reopened at 10am tomorrow. This decision is supported by the Armstrong Family and the Tathra Surf Life Saving community.

Department of Primary Industries has indicated that current environmental conditions are conducive to bringing large schools of baitfish near the shore, which could mean that sharks will also be attracted to the area. If people do see large sharks near shore please notify Surf Life Saving Guards immediately.

Members of the public wanting to know more about sharks are advised to read SharkSmart information, located at www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/info/sharksmart. Surf Life Saving Personnel at beaches in the area tomorrow will also have a pamphlet available with this information.

Source: NSW Police Force